If you should be worried about any observeable symptoms after using the crisis contraceptive tablet, contact your GP or talk with a nursing assistant at a intimate health clinic.
You should talk to a nurse or doctor if:
- You imagine you may be expecting
- Your following period is more than 7 days later
- Your duration is smaller or lighter than typical
- You’ve got any unexpected or pain that is unusual your reduced stomach (this might be a indication of a ectopic maternity, the place where a fertilised egg implants outs
The crisis contraceptive capsule might connect to other medications. Included in these are:
- The organic medication St John’s Wort
- Some medications utilized to deal with epilepsy
- Some medications utilized to deal with HIV
- Some medications utilized to deal with tuberculosis (TB)
- Medicine such as for example omeprazole (an antacid) to create your belly less acid
EllaOne can not be used if you’re currently using one of these simple medications, as it can never be effective.
Levonelle may nevertheless be utilized, nevertheless the dosage may prefer to be increased – your physician or pharmacist can advise with this.
There ought to be no connection between your crisis pill & most antibiotics. Two antibiotics that are enzyme-inducingcalled rifampicin and rifabutin), used to deal with or avoid meningitis or TB, may affect ellaOne while they’re being taken as well as 28 times a short while later.
Should you want to make sure that your medicines are safe to simply just simply take aided by the emergency contraceptive capsule, pose a question to your GP or even a pharmacist. It’s also wise to see the client information leaflet that is included with your medications.
Can I get the crisis contraceptive supplement beforehand?
Perhaps you are able to get the crisis contraceptive capsule prior to having sex that is unprotected:
- You might be focused on your method that is contraceptive failing
- You might be taking place vacation
- You can not get your hands on emergency contraception effortlessly
Pose a question to your GP or nursing assistant for more info on getting advance crisis contraception.
The IUD as crisis contraception
The device that is intrauterineIUD) is a little, T-shaped contraceptive unit made of synthetic and copper. It’s inserted to the uterus by an experienced wellness professional. It might avoid an egg from implanting in your womb or being fertilised.
You could have ovulated, to prevent pregnancy if you’ve had unprotected sex, the IUD can be inserted up to five days afterwards, or up to five days after the earliest time. It’s more efficient at preventing pregnancy compared to the emergency supplement, also it will not connect to every other medicine.
You are able to decide to have the IUD left in as a method that is ongoing of.
Just just How effective may be the IUD at preventing maternity?
There are numerous forms of IUD. Newer ones have significantly more copper and tend to be significantly more than 99% effective. Less than two feamales in 100 who utilize a more recent IUD over 5 years are certain to get pregnant. IUDs with less copper inside them are less efficient than this, but they are nevertheless effective. The IUD works better compared to the crisis capsule at preventing pregnancy after non-safe sex.
Who are able to make use of the IUD?
Nearly all women may use an IUD, including ladies who have not been expecting and the ones who will be HIV good. Your GP or clinician will inquire about your medical background to check on if an IUD would work for your needs.
You must not make use of an IUD when you have:
- An untreated STI or perhaps an infection that is pelvic
- Certain abnormalities of the cervix or womb
- Any bleeding that is unexplained your vagina – for example, between durations or after intercourse
Women that have heart condition should consult their GP or cardiologist before having an IUD installed.
Pregnancy and breastfeeding
The IUD shouldn’t be placed if you have a danger which you may currently be expecting. The IUD can be utilized safely if you’re breastfeeding, however the danger of problems during insertion is somewhat greater.
Exactly what are the relative negative effects regarding the IUD
Complications after having an IUD fitted are uncommon, but could consist of discomfort, illness, harm to the expulsion or womb(the IUD coming from the womb). If you utilize the IUD as a continuing approach to regular contraception, it would likely make your periods much longer, heavier or higher painful.
The IUD along with other medications
The emergency IUD will perhaps not respond with virtually any medicine.
Where could I get crisis contraception?
The emergency can be got by you contraceptive pill as well as the IUD for clear of:
- A GP surgery that provides contraception (some GP surgeries may well not offer the IUD)
- A contraception hospital
- A intimate health hospital
- Some medicine that is genitourinaryGUM) clinics
- Some young adults’s clinics (phone our sexual helpline on 0800 22 44 88)
You can have the crisis contraceptive capsule free from:
- Many pharmacies
- Some injuries units that are minor
- Some Accident & crisis divisions
A doctor or nursing assistant the thing is may ask for the information that is following
- If you have had non-safe sex in your overall cycle that is menstrual
- The date regarding the very first time of the final duration as well as the typical amount of your period
- Information on any contraceptive failure (such as for example just how many pills you could have missed, as soon as)
- If you have used any medicines which will impact your contraception
If you should be aged 13 or higher, you may get contraception through the greater part of community pharmacies in Scotland, frequently cost-free. You can buy the emergency contraceptive pill from most pharmacies if you are not eligible for NHS Scotland services. The fee differs, nonetheless it shall be around ?30 to ?35.
Contraception for future years
If you should be maybe not utilizing a method that is regular of, you could think about performing this in purchase to reduce the possibility of unintended maternity. Long-acting reversible contraception (LARC) supplies the best protection against maternity, and also you don’t need to think you have sex about it every day or each time.
LARC methods are the:
Where can it is got by me?
This will depend what sort of crisis contraception you employ. There are 2 techniques:
- The crisis contraceptive tablet (early morning after pill) – there are two main kinds, Levonelle or ellaOne
- The device that is intrauterineIUD, or coil)
Emergency contraception prevents maternity if:
- You haven’t utilized contraception
- Your typical way of contraception has unsuccessful
Crisis contraception shouldn’t be utilized as opposed to your method that is usual of.
The sooner you employ crisis contraception after having unsafe sex, the greater amount of effective it really is. For lots more information, observe how effective is crisis contraception?
The emergency contraceptive tablet
Levonelle can be acquired totally free with no prescription. You may get it from many pharmacies and in addition from your GP or intimate wellness center. Make use of our nationwide provider Directory to get pharmacy that is nearest, GP surgery or intimate wellness center.
Levonelle and ellaOne are both available cost-free. You could get them from most community pharmacies as well as from your own GP or health clinic that is sexual.
Levonelle may be taken within 72 hours (three times) of experiencing non-safe sex, but it is most reliable if taken within 12 hours of experiencing unsafe sex.
You are taking one Levonelle tablet. It really works by stopping or delaying ovulation (if your ovaries launch an egg).
EllaOne may be taken within 120 hours (five times) of experiencing unsafe sex, but it is best if taken at the earliest opportunity after having non-safe sex.
You take one ellaOne tablet. It prevents or delays ovulation and helps it be harder for a fertilised egg to implant to your womb.
The IUD (intrauterine device) can be acquired from:
- Contraception clinics
- Brook centers
- Many intimate wellness clinics (GUM clinics)
- Many GP surgeries
The IUD is positioned as part of your womb. It damages both the semen while the egg, and stops an egg that is fertilised in your womb.
It should be fitted by a medical practioner within five times of having sex that is unprotected or, whether or not it’s feasible to calculate whenever you ovulate, as much as five times once you ovulate. The IUD is considered the most type that is effective of contraception.
You are able to keep carefully the IUD in as the regular way of contraception, or a doctor can remove it throughout your next duration.
Crisis contraception might never be suited to everybody else. Learn more about emergency contraception.
If you should be sick
If you are unwell (vomit) within three hours of taking Levonelle or ellaOne, get hold of your GP. You might have to take another capsule.
Exactly just exactly How effective could it be?
It depends which kind of crisis contraception you utilize and just how soon it is used by you.
There are two main types of crisis contraception:
- The crisis contraceptive pill – or morning-after pill – referred to as Levonelle or ellaOne
- The copper IUD (intrauterine unit, or coil)
Crisis contraception prevents maternity when you yourself haven’t utilized contraception or think your typical approach to contraception has unsuccessful.